Thursday, August 13, 2009

change

Do you ever sit in your home and dream up new decor? I'm constantly envisioning different curtains, new pillows, painted furniture, and dazzling accessories. I'm in the midst of changing my style. Well, in all honesty...wanting to change my style. So what is a girl to do when she wants new things??? Redo the kitchen window seal. Have I lost you yet? Not too exciting, eh. Of course, being the bad blogger I am, I did not take before pictures. Let's just say that the window seal included meds, ugly soap dispensers, dried bay leaves, and a wooden plaque.

Now it holds a cute old tin coffee pot, thank you mom.

A plain candle can be spruced up with ribbon and a shell. An old picture frame that lost it's back can be painted. I loved the {in}courage post so much that I printed the definition of "encourage" and taped it to the back of the frame. Of course I had to add some starfish.


Because hand sanitizer and soap dispensers are ugly...you can add wrapping paper, stickers, ribbon, adornments. I just used what I had on hand. Think of all the cute labeling you could do!!!! These make really great gifts too. How fun for a teacher to get lotion decorated cute....and hello, inexpensive. Think Dollar Tree. Yes, I know...it can be a bit frightening to step inside but really, deals galore!


My last change today was a piece of artwork for Tristan's room. My brother painted these next two pieces and I've been eyeing them for years. Since he moved recently I was finally handed the apples of my eye! Oh how I l.o.v.e this one. It just makes my walls POP! I'm in the market for a new lamp...the monkeys have got to get back to the jungle.


This is the one I am using in Tristan's room. I had purchased one of those wall decals awhile back with a quote from one of Tristan's favorite Dr. Suess books as a young preschooler. After lots of pressing, peeling, words muddled under my breath......

this was the end result. Hubby hung it up on his wall above his bunk beds today and I just love it. Since Tristan is a huge art entheusist, I think it's extra special that he has one of Uncle Zack's pieces in his room.

7 comments:

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

cute!!!!

Unknown said...

I love the idea of adding the decals right on the painting.

Delightful Dwelling said...

How cute. I love how you decorated everything. Your window looks very pretty now!

Unknown said...

Everything looks so great! I know what you mean about changing your style. We gotta do it without spending money don't we? You did a great job!!

Rachel~Wildflower Photography Studio and Wildflower Creative said...

Your windowsill looks so cute! Very clever and creative of you to embellish your soap and such! :)

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and becoming a follower!

Happy Weekend!

Rachel

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Oh I just love how you decorated! I love love love the style of it all. I know just what you mean about changing your decorating style and imaging all new stuff. I got married almost 2 years ago...and much of the stuff I registered for no longer goes with my new vision of my home. Arg! :)

mimi said...

I knew that would look great, so glad you are creating wonderfull goodies of our past. and how special for uncle zack's piece, who knows maybe sometime in the future he will be discovered or just be blessed to know toot loves it! the cute little coffee pot belonged to granny, whom i don't think you ever met - your great grandmother. she brewed a many chicory pot of coffee down in NOLA! and she would love that you now are using!