Friday, June 26, 2009

it's not tinker toys

The best Christmas movie in the world has got to be Christmas Story! Hands down. Growing up, we always started our Christmas Story marathon on Thanksgiving Day. I looked forward to the glee of watching Ralphie and his family's antics. It brought laughter the first time and 500 times later I can still laugh so bad my gut hurts. I don't know what is funnier...."F.R.A.G.I.L.E" or the "electric sex" lamp. Surely everyone, yes everyone, has used a quote or two from that movie at one point in their life.

So, when Ralphie's mother asks him what he wants for Christmas he's afraid. Afterall he wants an official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200 shot range, air riffle. He then settles and tells her....tinker toys. Well, our PawPaw didn't get Tristan tinker toys but instead this:

How great is that! I'm not a gun person at all. Actually, I'm scared of them.


But this, oh this....is magically. This is memories.
Now, if we can just keep Tristan from "shooting his eye out".
Because, we all know, those icicles are known to kill people!


Tanner's room is done in an antique cowboy theme. My father in law is an avid estate saler and an awesome carpenter. I had wanted to do Tanner's initials on a piece of tin with a chunky frame around it. He whipped this up and I couldn't be happier. It has a story too. The wood frame is from an old arbor that he replaced. It's cedar wood and smells divine. The hooks are from an old Midtown Memphis house that my hubby lived in years and years ago. I made the letters and decoupaged them...not too much of a story there except they were my first attempt at decoupage. The little silver stars were off a child's belt my father in law found at an estate sale. I wonder if they were some little boy's treasure. You know how they love their little boots and I can just see the belt as a grand accessory. I love it! I'll post as soon as hubby hangs it today.