Friday, August 7, 2009

i've turned into my mother


Do you remember when you were younger and your mother did something that you just couldn't stand? You would then go on to say "I'll never do that!". Well, the time has come that I'm my mother through and through.

When I was younger, my mother did not cook from a box or from frozen meals. She was the real deal. We ate so many odd things it wasn't even funny or cool. Her culinary skills are ridiculous and still to this day amaze me. I loved absolutely everything she cooked but one thing. One itty bitty vegetable, no matter how it was cooked stood in my way of saying "I love everything my mother cooks". It was horrible. So horrible that my brother and I were given a table for 2 outside when she cooked these. BEETS!!!! Why you may ask were we eating outside when our parents were inside??? Oh this is because we would physically get sick from eating them. If only I could say I was allergic to them my problems during childhood would have been resolved. I thought this was child abuse. Lock them up and charge them...or so I thought. Yesterday I found myself in her shoes. I am standing my ground and making Tanner eat everything on his plate...or at least try it. Tanner has a new "beet" but it is the cucumber. As I watched my baby chew with the funniest face ever, it started. The gagging. Most mothers would make sure their child was okay but I could do nothing but laugh. Laugh at the fact that I am my mother. Tanner thought it was so funny that he decided to put another piece of cucumber in his mouth to gag again. Boys!!!!
So, what do you do now that you said you'd never do?

3 comments:

jennifer said...

oh... so many, many things...
beets are gross. it's true.

mimi said...

oh my dear it was so funny to hear you cackling the other day about this, but all the grander to read it. you are so funny, to think of what a terrible mother i was to make you eat such god awful things such as beets. the glorious vegetable that God made, perhaps now if you were to try them roasted on the grill only to have coins of goat cheese in between layers of beautifully colored slices of beets w/Moms vinigrette!

breanne said...

i admit mom that sounds good...as long as i'm outside just in case:)