Monday, February 16, 2009

eight is great!

I'm birthday-ed out! I thought this year I'd get off easier by not doing a big party for Tristan. Since having 2 kids, we decided that every other year the boys could have a full blow-out bday party. I'm a little ocd when it comes to parties so I tend to go way over board which leads to $500 bday parties. Something that I'm not proud of but it adds up quickly!!! So, on odd years we get together with the family and do a small party. This year Tristan wanted me to cook breakfast for everyone. I thought I was saving so much money because a few eggs and some bacon won't break the bank...or so I thought. Remember when I said I went a little ocd on parties...homemade waffles w/ homemade blueberry syrup and fresh strawberries, baked cheese grits, eggs w/ sauteed mushrooms, avocado, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, and green onions, Panera bagels w/ loxs and cream cheese, steamed asapargus, bacon, turkey sausage, biscuits and gravy, and homefries....I think that rouned off the list. I did make some cute bacon and egg cupcakes. The bacon was a real thorn in my side. This picture was taken before the bacon set up and "dried". I rolled out gum and dusted it with cocoa powdered and used food paint. Lets just say that all the cupcakes did NOT have bacon on them.
Tanner got a present too because heaven knows it's his birthday too. He exclaimed that "I knew I always wanted this!".
Sunday was actually Tristan's birthday and we decided to take him out for a fun day. He decided he wanted seafood so we went to Flying Fish downtown. I don't know who was more excited....afterall, Sundays is 50 cent oyster day! Tristan had a little plate of snow crab legs and oysters on the half shell. The boy can eat I tell ya! Here is tour guide Tristan showing me all the Memphis landmarks in the trolley.
Since cheesecake is Tristan's all time favorite food, we took him down to Cheesecake Corner. He tried the lime cheesecake, Troy had mint chocolate cheesecake, and Tanner and I split the caramel apple cheesecake. If you've ever been there you know 4 people can really split 1 piece! Here is what was left of Troy and Tristan's.
My aunt gave us tickets to the circus and since I love free I gobbled them up. Let me just tell you that after 2 light up swords, 2 light up snowcone cups, a Diego balloon, a Spiderman balloon, 2 elephant rides, box of popcorn, 3 sodas, a funnel cake, and a corndog (all in a 3 hour time frame mind you)...I really paid for those tickets!!!! Thanks Aunt Linda!!!!
This is a really bad picture but the boys are in the very front.
My sweet, precious boy is 8...isn't it great!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

So cute! They rode the elephant! I am so glad Noah did not want to. I was thinking about purchasing one since they made around 50$ for every two laps around!

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

Your boys are precious. Happy birthday!

Eight seems so far off right now for us...I hear it's such a wonderful age!

breanne said...

Eight is fun...especially when they think they know it all! ha

We now know what to invest in Carrie!

Erica said...

It's hard to believe he's 8! I can't believe he likes Oysters on the half shell at 8! WOW!
He's so trendy already! :)

breanne said...

and don't forget he can throw back roll after roll of sushi. He's definitely my daring eater. His favorite snack as a toddler was steamed artichokes, lol! Tanner sticks to chicken tenders and pb&j sandwiches.