Monday, September 14, 2009

i'm going mad

It's officially birthday season here in our house! My mind gets to whirling and creativity brews. I love it. Of course, Tanner's birthday is not until November but one can never be too prepared.

First, you gotta come up with a theme. I'm not one for character stuff but we all know how kids can be. As of now, I don't ask Tanner what he wants his birthday to be like. I figure I've got plenty of time to hear of Transformers, Batman, and all things superhero. I just try to make it as magical as possible for him and he'll never know what he's missin'. I know...I'm a mean mom. Our theme this year is the letter T. I'm a monogramming fool so anything with an initial on it is just for me! Oh wait, this is not my party....or is it?!?!

Next, choose your colors. For us, it will be aquas, orange, red, and celedon/lime greens. Lurrrrve it. Oh the colors are devine.

Third...oh yeah, it'd be nice to know where you are doing it. 20+ kiddos in your house doesn't sound like fun to me. This year we are doing ours at the pumpkin patch. We'll have it all to ourselves so it will be great!

Now, get your shopping shoes on and shop, shop, shop. Or, if you are like me and are trying to stay on a budget (is that really possible for a birthday party?) get to creatin'. I made my invites on ScrapBlog to try and save some money. They turned out really cute. Will post those soon...I promise. I'm also going to make all the favors.

For food we are doing all things T. I'm going to have a taco bar and make a tortellini salad (Mexican style). We are also going to do a candy table. I know, parents are going to KILL me but hey, it's a party! We'll have Twizzlers, Twix, Tootsie Rolls, taffy, and toffee. I'm trying to find bottled drinks in my colors. I'm thinking those cute Izze drinks wrapped in some cute scrapbook paper with the letter T on them would be adorable. Unfortunately, those run about $4 for 4 of them. Since we are inviting about 30 kids and their parents and siblings...it's totally out of the question. I think that drink purchase would be my entire budget. If you have any ideas shoot them my way!!!!

Finally, I'm going to try my hand at making some paper pom poms. I've heard they will make you pull every last hair out but surely it can't be that bad. I just think they will be oh so cute hanging from the trees. (This may very well be a purchased product for me. Since they aren't very expensive it might just be worth my time..and sanity....to purchase them. If you've done them before give me your thoughts.)

Does anyone else get obsessive about your kid's birthdays?

4 comments:

maribeth said...

umm, hello? you know the answer to that question. and, i do ask my kids their opinion, but still hate character themes so then i have to create a non-character, character party. anyway, no ideas about the drinks, but i did make the pompoms and i thought they were easy and cheap! your entire cost is tissue paper and floral wire-that's it!

breanne said...

maribeth...an non-character, character party is much harder than a non-character party!!! lol

kelly said...

i'm less obsessive than i once was but...i do loathe characters, too. on clothing, toys, bikes, SHOES!, cakes, etc...so, i try to just pick an interest.

as for the drinks, i don't just love the way they taste but those little mug drinks at walmart are a case for like $5 for 20 drinks. you could still wrap them up cute. or you could take the wrappers off of them and stamp or paint "t"'s on them? sounds like fun though- can't wait to see the pictures! :o)

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

I am totally with you. I go crazy for my guys' birthdays!