Thursday, September 3, 2009

there's no santa?

Recently Tristan and I have been talking about salvation. It's been a really hard topic for me to try and explain to him. I've been praying for God to give me the right words but still, I can't seem to explain it on a 8 year old level. He is questioning everything. I embrace his thoughts and love that he is trying to find his answers in his time but it's hard for me to sit back while he says "God just couldn't be around forever....he had to have been created at some point.". I have explained to him that is where faith and His Word step in.

Becoming a Christian at a young age and not really knowing what I was doing, I want Tristan to accept Christ when God moves him. Not because he feels like he has to or because he is scared not to.

One of the greatest moments I hope to experience with my boys is watching them live for God. Having two boys is challenging at times. I try to live as Christ-like as possible and know that I'm not perfect. I hope they see how great a God we have. Over and over He heals all wounds and forgives when we surly don't deserve His forgiveness. I pray they are successful and happy but most of all...have God in their heart. It brings tears to my eyes to know that I am raising boys to be men. Hopefully men after God's own heart. What a great task our Savior has given me.

So, our last conversation was about faith. Me being beyond brilliant, tried to explain believing in things you can't see. My husband said air and brainiac here decided to use santa as a metaphor. Thinking that I had just belted out what would make his heart and brain click, Tristan broke out the "I think it's just parents that leave the presents out!". Whaaaat? So now, not only am I trying to explain salvation...I'm explaining why there is no santa. It's that time....my boy is growing up.

3 comments:

Zack Perry said...

Let them discover on there own. Stop being Southern. The best metaphor is love. Ask him how he knows you love him?

breanne said...

You are so right and I love the question you pose. He's been asking alot lately though and when he lies (it's been quite a bit these days) we talk about what Jesus went through on the cross.

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

Oh my...I have a feeling that is just around the corner for me :) Hang in there and let hims see Christ through you!

Beth